Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Memories


I visited Erin, Tyler and Jaden tonight for a couple of hours (I am not ignoring Jeff--he was at work). We had dinner and then just played with the boys. They showed me their new bunkbeds, and we played monster truck crash (or some such thing). Then Erin played their beautiful new piano for me. I was struck by how beautiful and rich it sounded. Maybe it was the echo because the living room is still empty, but it was gorgeous. She played a couple of songs from Les Miserables, and then started playing something from Phantom. It was beautiful, and I was enjoying it. Then I asked her, "Did you buy that book?" (of sheet music). She answered that no, it had been something Jessica used to play.
All of a sudden, and without warning, my eyes were full of tears and I was actually crying (luckily the boys were playing upstairs by then). It just came back to me in such a rush, that yes, Jessica did used to play that very music. Within just a few seconds, everything that she has lost flashed through my mind. It was really quite overwhelming, and definitely surprising. It has been years since I've felt that, at least like that, so intensely. It has been over 13 years since her stroke; I think that I'm used to it. I pretty much don't think about it any more, most of the time, and would say that I'm used to Jessica--as she is now.

But I guess it is there, always, just under the surface, ready to bubble up and surprise me. It makes me feel guilty that I kind of think of her as who she is now, and not who she was, because who she was is the real Jessica (the good and the bad). No one else seems to really know or remember that, it seems, and I feel that I should--that someone should, and that should be me. I know there are no real rules about this kind of thing, but it just feels that at least her mother should remember who she is. Maybe the reason I cried was because I realized that sometimes I forget, and I don't think I should. I don't know.

4 comments:

  1. This post made me so sad and I relate on a very small level in that I always resent that no one ever told me how much guilt comes with being a mom. Of course you think of her as she is now (you are in the now.)

    I am so impressed that your daughters play/played the piano. Do you play?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jennette!!
    Thanks a bunch for commenting on my church things. I love comments. I love the ones you leave me also:) You are so nice and always make me smile. Thanks for always being a sweeetheart. My mom truly loves you, and I know why:)
    If you do get the wii fit i'm sure you would like it. I know Jessica would do well. I heard it is great for autistic kids and recovering strokes and a bunch of other things. I'm sure it would be great to help her. :)
    Love ya
    Come to Utah:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE COMMENT!!!WE LOVE MEADOW FANS!!!IM GLAD YOU FOUND ME ON THIS, ITS NICE TO FIND NEW BLOGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today is March 7th and I have just read this post that you wrote and I wanted to say that I remember Jessica more as she was before the stroke more than how she is now. I think it is because I don't see you guys as often as I probably should, and I remember the Jessica I knew then. I can't express to you how much I admire both of you for the wonderful example of "enduring" you live every day. And I don't mean that in a depressing, drudgery way...just in living your lives with what you have been asked to live with and doing it with humor and love. The "what might have beens" must be difficult sometimes...that would be hard for me too. You both are just amazing...and with all that you have two other wonderful children.. Erin & Michael!

    ReplyDelete