Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Halloween Queen


Anyone who knows Jessica knows that she loves decorating for the holidays. Her year seems to begin with Halloween, and goes on through to July 4th. (I know you probably think the year begins in January, but you'd be wrong.) It's her "thing." People tease her mercilessly about it (including me), but she doesn't really care. She has her ideas, and one can't dissuade her. Her taste is SO not mine, but in the end it doesn't really matter, and I mostly end up letting her do pretty much whatever she wants to the outside of the house. I try to look at it like this: I don't really see the front of the house all that much; usually I drive right into the garage after work and hardly notice what's out there. And when I do, well, sometimes I cringe, and sometimes I think it's kinda cute. All depends on the holiday, and how far overboard she's gone.
I've also realized, somewhat surprisingly, that I don't really care that much what other people think about it, which is pretty freeing.
I was surprised to discover, when I started this post, that I didn't have more pictures of her at Halloween. These were from 2004 (I think), and 2002. I know there are more, just not sure where.

I realize that sometimes I've been a bit short with her about her compulsion to decorate any and every surface in my home. But I've decided this "new year" to try to be kinder to her about it, to just let her have this one area where she can express herself and have fun. After all, there aren't that many things she can do; I'm determined to try to just be quiet and let her have this. Check back with me at the end of the year in July, and I'll let you know how my plan worked out.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing that one picture of Jessica with bangs reminds me how cute they look on her. You should cut her bangs again. btw, what a good mom to let her express herself with your house.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good mom. :) I really like her hay stacks though--I may copy that idea next year a little bit.

    ReplyDelete