Friday, December 26, 2008

Why a blog?

I've been following several blogs for the last six months or so. I've found it most interesting and rewarding. I have reconnected with some old friends, and children of old friends, through both their facebook entries and their blogs. I was talking to my son the other day about how much I enjoyed it, but needing to "get a life" before having anything to blog about myself. I don't see myself as one who would have anything interesting to say, that any readers would find of value. I certainly don't go anywhere interesting, or do much of anything that would interest anyone to read about.

But then I realized that I don't look at the blogs that interest me for those reasons at all. I see them as a way to get to know their creators better, to gain insight into the workings of their minds, to get a glimpse into their lives. I so appreciate how diverse they are, and what unique and very different things each of them offers. I find it almost as equally fascinating to read the seemingly mundane details of day-to-day life as it is to read some of the very most personal and meaningful events in their lives. I find myself appreciating the writers for sharing both. I am fascinated by how people think, why they do what they do, what interests and intrigues them, what challenges they face; their blogs allow me access to those very kinds of things.

When I looked at blogging from that perspective, it occurred to me that perhaps I could do the same, and maybe someone who knows me would be interested in what I have to say in these areas as well. If not, it could, at the very least, serve as a journaling and maybe even therapeutic experience for me, creating a framework in which to record my own musings. I've always found it illuminating to write about experiences, thoughts, problems, etc. So maybe I'll do it in a more public forum, and just see how it goes.

So, with that introduction, I'll give it a shot. Maybe it will take on a more specific focus at some point--or not. We'll just have to see how it goes...

1 comment: