Saturday, January 31, 2009

Closet Envy

Let me start by saying that I don't in the least begrudge Erin her new house. I love it and I'm so happy that she has it. I'm excited for her and Jeff and the boys, happy that they are in this great new home, in what looks to be a great neighborhood. And of course I'm thrilled they're now so close to me that much more frequent visiting will be possible. The only thing I'll freely admit to is a fair amount of closet envy. I don't know if there's a real word that describes the feeling, but I bet you know what I mean if you don't have enough closets or storage space in your house.

When I bought my house 11 years ago, I was not thinking about closets when I looked at the models, and even when I did my walk-through right before getting the keys to my new home. It wasn't until we were moved in, probably the first time I went to put away the vacuum cleaner. I literally walked all around the downstairs, looking for some kind of a closet. Guess what? There wasn't one. Upstairs, there's a small linen closet. That's it. The bedrooms have the requisite closets, of course, and there's a nice walk-in closet in the master bedroom. But there is nary a single spot for storage downstairs. The kitchen storage space is pretty slim, too, with only a few cupboards and not a whole lot of counter space. It has been fine, however, and I haven't lamented this lack too very much all these years.


Until now. When I went through Erin's perfect new house last week, that was definitely what I came away with--the feeling that I was jealous of all that storage space. I shopped at Costco today, and when I came home the first thing I thought was, "If I was Erin, I'd have no problem trying to figure out where to put this stuff!" Or maybe I actually
would have a problem--choosing between all the options! This walk-in linen closet alone is enough to die for, as they say. (It actually looks bigger in person, if you can believe it.)

And then there's the kitchen. Let's see, how many cupboards? And how many feet of counter space? And just in case there aren't quite enough cupboards, there's the gigantic walk-in pantry. Hmmm. I told Erin that she doesn't have an excuse to ever have anything out of place. I don't want to hear it. Yes, I think I am suffering from closet envy. I admit it. I know, it's not pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment