Sunday, January 25, 2009

Wake up, Jessica!!!


Recently a helpful "friend" suggested to me that I should just "make Jessica get up at a decent time," that she would feel better and it would be better for her. This came about because she sometimes misses church or other things that happen in the morning. She simply can NOT get up early. And if she does, she pays for it later, and ends up feeling terrible and needing to sleep during the day. I was explaining to this "friend" that she takes a boatload of pills in the morning and again at night, most of which have sleepiness as their main side effect. Not to mention my awareness that people whose brain is starved for oxygen, as hers is because of her Moyamoya disease, simply need more sleep than people with healthy, well-oxygenated brains do, and in fact cannot function without it.

So tonight when I was getting her meds ready for the upcoming week, I snapped these pictures. This is the handful of pills she takes every morning, and there is a similar or larger batch in the evening.

Sometimes I wish people would keep their helpful comments and suggestions to themselves, especially when they really don't know what they're talking about. And I'm very grateful for real friends (and I feel blessed and grateful that they are in the vast majority) who make the effort to try to understand the situation before they start suggesting helpful solutions.

Do I sound bitter? Maybe a little. Sometimes.



2 comments:

  1. Bitter? Rightly so! You know Jessica better than anyone and of course you've probably considered all options, scenarios and schedules that might be best...why would anyone even THINK they could give advice. Sheesh! Now I'm bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've seen her go to bed at 7pm and wake up at noon the next day! Let the girl sleep, people!!

    ReplyDelete