Saturday, May 16, 2009

Painting -- again!

No one likes to change things up more than Jessica. Given half a chance, she paints, and re-paints, anything in sight! Several years ago I painted her bedroom myself, and thought it should last her at least 5 years. But no, she already has tired of it and wants a new color. Now, I'll grant you that she probably is very bored, sitting around with nothing to do much of the time. So it gives her time to think and plan (some might say "scheme"), and before you know it, things are different.

Anyway, here's my confession. I promised her I'd re-paint her room last year for her birthday. Actually two rooms were involved and I did actually do the other room. But her bedroom has been torn apart and ready to paint since last August. And since it's now May I'd say I'm WAY behind on keeping that promise. I know that part of the delay was realizing how much work it was doing that other room, and since I'm doing it by myself, I was just feeling way too lazy.



So, here's what her room looks like now. Dark blue on the bottom, light blue on the top of the walls and ceiling (yes, what was I thinking, even the ceiling!). There used to be a wallpaper border in the middle. It's kind of a small room, and there's junk in the way, but I think you can get the idea.






At work the other day, someone mentioned hiring a painter. To be honest I'd never even thought of it! I think I'm so used to not ever really having enough money, actually spending money for something like this never even crossed my mind. In a whole lifetime of painting experience, it has always been a do-it-myself project. But when we were talking at work, I realized I just am not up to it, and I could actually afford to hire someone. So, I hired a painter, and he's hard at work as I write this post (I even turned on the A/C for him; I know how hard a job it is). I've taken these "before" pictures of the bedroom and the hallway he's going to paint today. I'll add the "after" shots... well, after.

Here's the stairwell. I had painted part of it a few years ago, but too late realized I'd never be able to do the upper part of the stairwell. Although I did stand on a ladder for the higher parts of the walls, there was no way I was going to stand on a ladder on the stairs. I'm not that brave (or foolhardy)!





This is the hallway upstairs. The same chalk white paint that was in the house when I bought it 11 years ago. You know, the kind that comes off if you even brush against it.








So this is it for now. More later (hopefully looking much better). Stay tuned for Part 2.

7 comments:

  1. I love having things look new. When we got the house we are renting. The walls "looked cream" after a few nights of showering in my new home. Come to find out the walls are white. Previous owners have smoked inside, and the nicotine is what colored the walls cream, it finally started dripping down everything so I figured it was time to wash them. Took me all day and standing on coffee tables but I washed down every wall in my house. The walls are now white, and have been for almost a year..but are once again leaking yellow. YAY. Looks like I may have to hire a painter as well. I love the blue on blue in her room. I am so excited to see the finished project. I hope it turns out the way you and Jessica want it:)
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart woman! Not standing on the ladder on the stairs and hiring a painter. Good for you! Can't wait to see the "after."

    ReplyDelete
  3. very smart women, cant wait to see part 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually kind of surprised she didn't start painting herself. Or perhaps she learned her lesson after the green patio incident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I am trying to write to everyone.
    Since my blog is private. It doesn't show updates. Be sure to check my blog once in awhile as always..I update it constantly:) hha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know huh! I am so glad that we are getting to know eachother. It has been so much fun to get to know you and Erin. I can't wait to see you guys. :)
    Do you guys know what day you are coming yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. EWWW!!!!I HATE PAINTING!!!!!YOU SHOULD BRIBE A BOY SCOUT OR SOMETHING!

    ReplyDelete